08 December 2010

CC is a boSox

Wow. Just Wow.

I had HardballTalk open on my laptop for most of the afternoon/night waiting for news that the Halos had signed Beltre. Since you know, they were closing in on him.

Geez, I should know better than to trust the wild rumors of the offseason.

But back to CC. I'm still struggling to absorb the news that the BoSux swooped in, when it seemed so certain (to everyone!) that the Halos were going to get him. Also that the BoSux were willing and able to spend that kind of money. It seemed like they were concerned about passing the luxury tax (last year, with Beckett's extension, and this year with AGon's extension). Well so much for that. This is a monster contract, to go along with some of their other monster contracts (Beckett, Dice-K, Lackey). If I was a BoSux fan, I think I'd be even more conflicted about this contract than I am as a Halo fan. Boston, if they do indeed extend AGon, have some long, hefty contracts for aging stars.

As a Halo fan, its a missed opportunity. The Halos may not have a lot of financial flexibility this season, but there are very few long term contracts and very few contracts past 2012. The Angels can afford to put a long term contract on their books. I'm not so sure that giving a >$20M per year is smart spending per se, but it's pretty mind-boggling that a team in the Red Sox's position can and does so.

I'm just perplexed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are offensive will be deleted. No profanity and please be civil. Disagreement is accepted, as long as you back it up with a reason.