14 December 2009

the FO gets owned in one day...

So I've been gone for quite a while, tending to finals and other end-of-the-quarter things. So I was really looking forward to tomorrow, after I had submitted my fellowship application, to rehash all that I've missed, including the Winter Meetings and my opinion on the Granderson-Jackson blockbuster.

Well those plans just exploded in my face.

This morning I did my usual quick halosphere check for any major news and despite my distress over the Lackey news, I decided to finish up my work before I sat down and contemplated the effect on the Angels.

Well those plans just exploded in my face.

Checking for any updates on Lackey, I instead learned of the blockbuster Halladay-Lee trade. Talk about a one-two punch... The Halos emerge a clear loser in today's offseason dealings. After the FO made it clear that it was going to focus on pitching rather than Bay (which I thought was a good move), they lose out on all the best pitching options. Lackey was always my first choice, since I believed that Halladay would be too costly. But when Philly emerged a viable Halladay landing spot and Rosenthal suggested that Lee may be dealt, you can bet that Lee would be a fabulous (and less expensive) addition to the Halos rotation.

But today, all three are gone. Worse still, Lackey went to the BoSox and Lee to the M's.

The halosphere is up in arms, and understandably so. The FO just got its ass handed to it. And you can be sure that a Matsui signing won't placate them.

Deep breath everybody. Now is not the time to panic. But I'm sure the FO (and the fans) are wondering whether what's left out there is even worth pursuing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are offensive will be deleted. No profanity and please be civil. Disagreement is accepted, as long as you back it up with a reason.