03 November 2009

embarrassment

The Story of.. How I Got My First Authentic MLB Baseball

One of the drawbacks about leaving home to start grad school in Sept. 2009 was the fact that I wouldn't have the opportunity to drive down to the Big A for games when tickets got cheap. Mlb.tv helped, but I was soooo envious of those that got to see the clinching game vs. Texas. If I was in Socal then, you bet I would have found a way to be there.

So when the Angels came up to Oakland later that week, I made sure to get tickets so I could see them. They won both games I went to, but the first game was disappointing in that I got no autographs. So when I was able to get Kaz to sign my hat before the second game, I was happy. That is until a golden opportunity presented itself to me at the end of the 7th.

I had slowly worked my way down the seats as the game progressed. Partially because I wanted a better view (and there were plenty of empty seats), partially because I was freeeeezing in the shade. I finally made it down to the 2nd row behind the Angels' dugout in the 7th and was ready to ask for the ball at the end of the inning. I had learned my lesson from the first game that series and I had brought my glove. So when Jepsen struck out the last batter and Napoli jogged to the dugout, I stood and raised my glove for the ball. To my amazement, Naps threw it at me. I saw the ball arch up, I raised my glove... and the next thing I knew, it had bounced off my head and back into the field...

Talk about embarrassing...(I mean, I do have good hand-eye coordination!) But I was more pissed that I had missed such a great chance to get my first ball. I got some teasing from nearby A's fans and an usher came and asked me if I was okay (since the ball hit my head). A security guy on the field did hold up the ball to me, but there was a little girl in front of me and I thought he was offering it to her. And how messed up would it be to ask for it ahead of her?? So I tried to console myself with the fact that I had at least gotten Kaz's signature. It sorta worked.

The bottom of the 9th rolled around and I think Alfredo Griffen took pity on me. After the infield warmed up, he threw me the ball. And this time I caught it! ..and people cheered for me..

In all, one of the more embarrassing things to happen to me, but all worth it. Now all I need to do is get it signed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are offensive will be deleted. No profanity and please be civil. Disagreement is accepted, as long as you back it up with a reason.